Bear watching from Sweden's southernmost hiding place
Experience encounters with wild brown bears, only 2 hours from Arlanda. In northern Gästrikland stands a custom-created forest hut where both bears and other animals have been seen on many occasions.
At 3 pm we gather in Wild Nordic's gallery. A filling sandwich is served and we go through all practical information. After a short walk through the woods, the guide will escort you to the hiding place so that you can start preparing for the bear watching on your own.
The hideout stands at a small height and overlooks three directions. In the mossy pine forest with large boulders, a bear can appear at any time. You are safe and secure in the hiding place. The bears are very shy and any small sound can make them run away.
In addition to bear, large woodpecker, grey-headed woodpecker and jay often appear. Sometimes even buzzard or goshawk. A fox may sneak past and the black woodpecker sometimes sits in the pines around the hideout. Great tit, blue tit, nuthatch, treecreeper, chaffinch, brambling, robin and willow tit are also continuous guests.
The hideout has 9 windows/photo windows and large bunk beds with pillows and blankets as well as a simple toilet.
In the morning, at 08, you are picked up by the guide and breakfast buffet is served in the gallery. Maybe you have been awake all night and need to rest before returning home. If so, you are welcome to use one of our guest rooms.
The hideout has 4 places.
If you are a company of 1-2 people, additional guests may be joining you.
If you are a company of 3-4 people, you get the hiding place for yourselves.
Season: May 10-September 10, 2019. All days of the week except Mondays.
Price per person: SEK 2,400
Children of all ages are welcome in the company of an adult. Feel free to ask about our family offers.
Adventurous bear viewing - 20th of March to 9th of September
Bears are moving around the hideout from the end of March. As there may be snow remaining during this period and the frozen ground is thawing we cannot use the road but must walk 2 km through the forest. During the walk we may encounter both exciting trails and wildlife.
At 2pm we will gather in Wild Nordic's gallery. A filling sandwich is served and we go through all the practical information. After the walk through the forest, the guide will guide you to the hiding place and on your own you will begin the exciting search.
During this period the activity is suitable for healthy adults with relatively good physics.
The price includes:
- Filling sandwich and tea/coffee on arrival
- Transport to and from the hideout
- One night in the hideout
- Breakfast buffet
- Access to guest room with beds
- Rubber boots/boots
- Food and drink for the time in the hideout (approx. 5pm-8am)
To think of:
- Do not bring noisy packaging (e g. crisp bags). Re-pack the content in food boxes/plastic jars instead.
- Do not use strong perfumes/detergents or other strong scents. Preferably come "neutral".
- The bears usually stay 20-30 meters from the hideout (but sometimes as close as 6-7 meters). For shooting, a 100-500 mm lens is suitable. Of course, it is also possible to use simpler cameras with shorter focal length, as you shoot directly through the windows.
- There are "bean bags" for the cameras in the hide and smart tripod head solutions. Own stand head/stand does not work.
- In recent seasons, bears have been observed at around 85% of the sessions.
- The hideout has 9 photo windows on 3 of the 4 walls.
- There are 2 beds, 140x200 cm (two people fit in one bed). Blankets and pillows are available, you do not need to bring sleeping bags or similar. The hide has warm slippers of various sizes and the floor has an insulating mat and rag rugs on top.
- There are 4 nice and bright binoculars in the hideout.
- Species (except bear) that appear (based on the 2019 season):
Almost always: Jay, squirrel, finch, large woodpecker
Often: Fox, willow tit
Occasionally: Grey-headed woodpecker, badger, black woodpecker, brambling, buzzard, goshawk, sparrowhawk, raven, great tit, crow, magpie, crossbill, vole
Rarely: White-tailed eagle, golden eagle, deer, moose, pine marten
- Close to nature
- Forest area
- Mobile phone: +46 73-6550157
- Webbsida: http://www.wildnordic.se
- Contact person email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Kungsbergsvägen 60, 811 95 Järbo